Growing, Learning, and Enjoying Every Part Of It.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Permanent Housing

We are finally out of the apartment and into our home. All together now - "Thank you, Jesus!"
 
Last night was our second night in the new house. I love it! What I don’t love is the moving process. Thankfully, this time we had movers to get our things from storage to the house, but they didn’t cover unpacking and putting away.  There is so much stuff lying around that I don’t even know where to start. I gave Alyssa a list of things to do today and hopefully by the time I get home, most of it will be done. 
 
Yesterday I went and bought all new door knobs for the house. I didn’t like the other ones…they were gold. One of the pits of an older house are the gold fixtures. What the heck was the infatuation with that in the 90’s??  I guess someone will ask the same question about brushed nickel or stainless steel in 10 years.  While I was at it, I also bought new shower kits for the guest bath and jack and jill bathroom. They, too, were gold. We also found a great new vanity and sink for the downstairs guest bath. There was a pedestal sink in there previously…yuck.
 
The painters arrived this morning. I’m nervous about the color.  I purchased two samples and ended up not liking either. I’m going with light gray, but I don’t want it to look like dingy white.  Alyssa and Mr. RFA said my eyes are weird because they saw gray.  I saw dingy white. This morning at the last minute I changed the color with the painter. It’s still gray, but a tad darker…still light, in my mind. I hope when I get home I’ll love what I see.  I don’t think my husband will allow me to use more of the budget to get the painters to come back and change the entire downstairs just because I have color remorse. 
 
We’ve decided to hold off on updates to our master bath. He wants to paint and we also need new faucets, shower trimmings and cabinet knobs. Oh and get this. My husband, whom I love and adore very much, has come up with the genius idea (note my sarcasm) to install a laptop or book tray in the toilet room.  All this means is that he’ll spend more time in the bathroom…I’m opposed to the idea of it, but I won’t stand in the way of his grand ideas…this time.
 
We had some cleaning women come in on Tuesday before we started moving things in and they did a good job. I think I’m going to use them once a month to do the deep cleaning for us and we’ll take care of the other stuff ourselves.
 
Oh yeah…we also found an awesome new microwave/wall oven combo. Of course the one we have now is white…that just won’t do.  I can’t wait until it’s installed. Everything else in the kitchen looks modern expect those ugly white appliances. Now we still need to find the cooktop and new dishwasher. I hope the white appliances sell well on craigslist…cost recovery is a sweet thing!
 
Okay, that’s it for house stuff.

5 comments:

LadyLee said...

Yay! You're finally in there! And I know it will all be worth it, once you get everything straight :)

Congratulations!!!

Bliss said...

Thanks!! Yes, hopefully temporary housing and the stress of driving all over the place will be a distant memory soon, lol.

Sasha said...

It sounds like you have a lot to change up in the new home. It sounds so fancy though. Can we see pictures of the changes you make?

Sunny said...

Congrats. Soon all this stress and worry will be over leaving you free to enjoy your new home.

Sandra said...

Congrats on moving to the new home!