Growing, Learning, and Enjoying Every Part Of It.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Bringing Firm to Flexibility



Over the past week, Mr. RFA and I have had some great conversations about how we want life to look over the next three years. We’ve had this conversation in general terms a few times, and each time we mutually agreed to remain open and flexibility on what we do.  We even said on a couple of issues that we would prefer to make the decision as certain situations arose. (We've both always taken that approach, even when we were single.  It works great when you only have you to consider, but we've learned that we are both better when we are firm on decisions in our marriage.) This time, some of those situations are staring us in the face, and on others we’ve just decided it’s time to put pen to paper and remain firm with our family vision.

As a result, we’ve made two major decisions.

1.    We are going to buy a new home and remain in Texas for at least the next 5 years. Now that we have settled that, we can both stop thinking about the east coast with lust in our eyes (lol). At least for now.  

We went to the bank yesterday and got our pre-qualification approval for the loan (by the way, rates are great right now, in case you’re looking).  This weekend we have 2 Realtors coming by the house to look around and we’ll determine which we want to hire to put our house on the market.  We’ve already worked on our must have and nice-to-have lists, and determined the 3 cities in which we would be willing to live (Plano, McKinney, Frisco).  We currently live in one of these cities and I like it the most; it’s full of character and charm, and it’s the number 2 best place to live in the Country (smiley face). I am open to trying the other two, though. I really feel like that area, including Allen is the best place to live in the metroplex…I just love it. We’ve also started actually looking for a new place.  We just need a buyer’s agent now, so we can get in these houses and really look around. I’m really hoping we get through this entire selling/buying process by September. That’s not much time, but I know first-hand that it is doable! 

2.    After the baby(ies) is/are born I will stay home with them full time. If you had asked me if I would ever be a stay at home mommy two years ago, I would have said no. As we started talking about starting our family the thought of being with my kids full time became more and more appealing. And now that it will be a reality, I don’t want to think about someone else being with my kids more than me. I remember when Mr. RFA first told me he knew I was his wife, we began talking about our philosophy on life issues. Parenting and caring for kids was one of those topics of discussion, of course. He had always pictured his wife home with his children, but I had always pictured a power couple with two great careers. I thought my kids would be daycare, nanny or grandmother cared for kids.  I’m so excited that my thought process on this issue has transformed. I look forward to being there for everything and not having to worry about work deadlines or school deadlines, both of which I had to be concerned about while raising Alyssa.

2 comments:

AMES said...

Great news! Shaping people is the most important and powerful job in existence. The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.

Ginae said...

I love how you two interact together:) Your current house is great and lovely in a nice neighborhood that I liked a lot. But I'm sure the next house will be just as fabulous. I agree with AMES. Raising a little person and shaping and forming their lives and who they become is the most important job on the planet. Isn't it amazing how God works things out and works on us to be just what we need to be at the time?