Growing, Learning, and Enjoying Every Part Of It.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

TTC Tuesdays - Week 26

Happy Tuesday!
 
Today I am on CD 4. My cycle was the shortest it has ever been, but I know that's because the drugs are making my body do what the doctors need it to do. 
 
I went to the doctor on Friday at which time I had to give blood, have a sonogram, and learn how to give myself two new injections - Follistim and Menopour.  Both drugs are designed to grow follicles.
 
The Follistim is given through a contraption that looks like a pen (yes, writing pen).  I have to turn a dial to get the correct dosage and then inject.  The menopour has to be mixed. It took me about 30 minutes to do this. My husband records the nurse's instructions on injections, but somehow accidentally deleted that tutorial. We had to find one online.  I was so nervous.  I think it's ridiculous that patients have to mix drugs together at home and then inject them.  I had so much stress around the thought that I was doing it wrong.
 
Before we left the doctor's office the nurse said to me about three times that no news was good news because she didn't plan to speak to me again until my appointment today.  So, imagine my sad face when my phone rang from my doctor's office just a few hours after I had left the appointment.  They called to tell me that my blood work showed slight anemia.  I don't remember the technical terms she used. At any rate they want something to be at 34%, but my blookwork showed that I'm at 33.8%. They are not too worried, just wanted to double check that I am still taking the iron supplements.  I am.
 
The sonogram came showed good things. No fibroids, thin lining (what they wanted to see because that meant my cycle was about to start just the way they planned it), and a couple follicles beginning to grow on both sides.
 
Back to drugs. During my appointment on Friday my lupron dosage was decreased from 10 units to 5. I take 300 miu(?) of Follistim a day (225 in the morning and 75 at night), and 1 ml of menopour in the evening. That's a total of 4 injections. Thankfully I only had to do the menopour on Saturday and Sunday.  Now I'm down to 3 injections.
 
I cannot say I'm getting used to sticking things in my belly, but I know how to get it done without stressing myself out now.
 
This week I have to visit the doctor's office 3 times. Today, Thursday, and Saturday.
 
The journey continues....

3 comments:

AMES said...

Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us.

I am rooting for your family!

Sherri said...

It's amazing how everyone's protocol is a bit different. :)

See, I told you the stimulation shots weren't that bad. You're a pro now!

Bliss said...

Thanks, Ames. It makes me happy to share. I did so much research leading up to this process, it made me want to share my own story for anyone else who may be faced with this.

Sherri - Yes, you were right, lol. I don't like the shots, but they weren't terrible. Now I'm on progesterone and my husband has to give those. It helps that I don't have to do it myself anymore.

I have also noticed that everyone has a different protocol. I talked to two different women recently and they both had a different process than mine. One was on drugs for months longer than me.