Growing, Learning, and Enjoying Every Part Of It.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Words From Granny

On my drive into work this morning I decided to call my Granny. I usually call her on my way home, but she fell on my mind this morning. She answered the phone more chipper than usual.  It instantly made me smile to hear the joy in her voice. All too often she sounds disgruntled when she answers. See, she hates the phone unless it's one of her Grankids calling. Once she hears me say, "Hey, Old Lady!" she instantly perks up. But, today she shocked me.
 
I told her how great she sounded and she told me that she felt great. My Granny is a talker, when talking to peopl she likes. She went on a 10 minutes story of the salmon patties she made last night for dinner and the smoothie she made this morning with her bullet. She was so impressed with her greenbean, spinach concoction that she couldn't contain herself.
 
I told her that I got the new job offer and had accepted.  She said she knew I would, but then her tone changed. She told me that I need to stop switching jobs and that I need to relax my body and stay still for a while. I just listened. She told me that I had a good job and that I need to stop leaving these good jobs. As with each new position I get, I tried again to explain to her my career, career goals, and the differences between her generation's outlook on Jobs versus my generation's outlook on Careers. And, just like she says each time I say that to her, she told me that "Thangs ain't changed that much. You better be still."  I had to remind her that I'm not relocating this time.  She has come to equate my acceptance of new positions as a move to another part of the country, and rightfully so.
 
I usually respectfully dismiss her thoughts on job loyalty and living in the same house for 30 years, but today it lingered in mind beyond the phone call. I'm not sure why.  I've been trying to explore why her words are still lingering. I know it's not because I think I should stay with the same employer for 20 years, or that I have to live in my current home for 30 years.
 
Maybe I'm thinking about it because I am ready to stay in one place (living, not working), but I know that more moves are in our future....at least I think so. I know we both want to leave Texas (so we say, but there are days we both slip up and discuss 15 years from now and Texas is in the picture), but we cannot for the next 3.5 years.
 
Maybe I just want to feel like I should stay in one place because that's what "normal" people do. Maybe I feel bad that I don't agree with my Granny's take on things.
 
I don't know. I'm going to keep exploring her words and my emotional response to them.

2 comments:

Serenity3-0 said...

The days of staying in a job for a long time seem to be gone. I have been in my current role for 6 years. And there have been times during that 6 years that I have wanted to leave. But now looking back on it all, I think I'm in the right place. I just didn't know all of the life changes that would occur in my personal life and how this position would allow those changes to happen w/out me being in a bad place. I was especially grateful I'd stayed when I was pregnant and ill most of the time. I had great benefits, but also had built up a relationship with my managers that they didn't question when I felt bad or couldn't work on some days. And now that I have Kayden and I'm working but he's here with me.. Yeah, your granny may be on to something. Not that you will have any of the circumstances I had, but I am definitely fortunate that I didn't leave my employer during those hiccups.

As far as the 30 yrs in the same house thing. I thought when I bought my home that it was a stepping stone to a bigger house later. Now I'm not so sure that's even necessary for me. The idea of paying off this home before 30 years and owning it and also all of the memories we are creating here makes me second guess why I'd even need another bigger place.. So your granny may be on to something. I think it's always a thin line with balancing contentment and ambition. We don't want to be in the same place when we have the ability to move forward, however we have to learn to be content with what we have and where we are.

ShellyShell said...

I'm in the process of looking for a new job. I've been at my current position for 6 years which is waaay to long. Before that I never stayed longer than 3. I told my dad I was looking and he was like why.I said I want more money and more responsibility. At my job it's stagnant and you will always just do what you do. His response was "Shelly you make good money and have good insurance you better stay." My response "umm yeah ok whatever dad."
My dad is 78 and I think people around that age think stay in one job and be secure. But our age group wasn't raised like that. I still love him but I just don't agree with some stuff he says. His opinion but my life.