Growing, Learning, and Enjoying Every Part Of It.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

TTC Tuesdays - Week 23

Happy  Tuesday!

Today I am on CD9.  I've been taking birth control fo 7 days, and both of us have been taking antibiotics for 5 days.

I haven't noticed any side effects from the birth control nor antibiotics. My body is taking it all in stride right now. However, my husband is having about every side effect listed on the antibiotics. I feel pretty bad for him.  He is having headaches, nasseau, and everything else. I'm glad we only have 5 days left for that one.

We were looking through our paperwork again and was reminded that during this process we have to use condoms.  Mr. RFA thinks that requirement is an abomination against marriage. I'll reserve comment on the matter, lol. I will say though, it's ironic that things people use to avoid kids are things we are told to use to create a good environment for my uterus to carrry babies. This whole process is just so intriguing.

During this process I will be on a total of 8 medications at different times.  We because fertility drugs aren't typically sitting around at your local pharmacy, and because they cost unholy amounts of money, My RE's office uses a mail order company. We called them, gave insurance information and are awaiting our estimated  out of pocket cost. I asked the lady on the phone what would be the price if our insurance didn't cover any of it. She said the estimate is $4,000 to $5,000. Thank God for insurance. We are hoping we don't have to exceed $1500, but I think it will be even lower than that. 

Here is a list of all the medications and a short description of what they do. So far I'm on BC and Doxycycline. Tuesday starts the Lupron injections...oh joy! :

Birth Control (Cryselle) -
These pills (containing a progestin plus a small dose of estrogen) have many uses in fertility treatment. They may be used  as a contraceptive agent prior to surgery or to prevent ovarian cyst formation and synchronize egg development in IVF.

Antibiotic (Doxycycline) -
This is an antibiotic in the tetracycline family. It has many different indications for use. In fertility treatment, it may be prescribed prior to a uterine procedure or IUI therapy. It is also used after an egg retrieval in IVF.

Lupron -
It helps to prevent premature ovulation in IVF treatment, allowing more time for egg maturation.

Medrol -
This is a steroid medication used in IVF which can help pregnancy success in cases of day 3 embryo transfer. It is started on the 2nd day following retrieval and continued for 4 days. (I'm doing a 5 day transfer, but I guess it helps with that, too.)
 
Progesterone -
This medication is used to either supplement the luteal phase (the 2nd half of the menstrual cycle) or to help maintain an early pregnancy. Most patients who are taking the gonadotropins combined with IUI and all patients undergoing IVF or frozen embryo transfer will be given extra progesterone.
 
Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (unsure which one yet) -
This medication is used to cause the final steps of oocyte maturation to occur and to trigger ovulation. Ovidrel is actually a recombinant (made in the laboratory) form of human chorionic gonadotropin or hCG – the pregnancy hormone. If you take a pregnancy test within 9-10 days after taking this medication, you may have a false positive result.
 
Gonadtrofins (Gonal F) -
These medications help to stimulate the growth of ovarian follicles. They are given subcutaneously (underneath the skin) with very thin/short needles. The response to these medications is monitored by both ultrasound and blood work. Typically, a patient will use these medications daily over a 9-13 day period, though some patients may need a shorter or longer time on the medication.
 
ZPack -
A cocktail of antiobiotics
 
So as you see many of these require me shooting myself with a needle for several days. The shining light is that I won't be on all of these meds at once.  Reading the side effects have caused me enough worry, but I'm letting it all go. I am asking God that I have no side effects.
 
That's it for this week's update!
 
 

1 comment:

LadyLee said...

WOW! *blink*blink*

WOW again!