Growing, Learning, and Enjoying Every Part Of It.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

TTC Tuesdays - Week 20

I can't believe I've been blogging about this journey for 20 weeks and that we've been on this ride for 6 months.  Time sure does move quickly.

Today I am on CD23 and I am just now ovulating.  This is the latest I have ovulated since I started monitoring.  I really think that HSG test threw things off. I did some internet research to see if I was the only one. Lo and behold there are tons of women who have had that test who then reported delayed ovulation. weird...but I guess when you are messing around in someone's uterus and tubes, things are bound to be impacted.

Okay, on to the good stuff...

In my previous TTC post, I talked about getting an HSG done and how unpleasant it was. The radiologist tried to give me his interpretation of the images, but we were holding our breaths waiting to hear what my RE had to say.

Well, after looking at the images, my left fallopian tube is blocked. By what, no one knows.  It would take an exploratory surgery to figure that out. I want no parts of another surgery. Even if I did do the surgery to find the problem, I may then need another surgery to fix the problem. No thanks to that route.

Back to my tube. Typically one blocked tube wouldn't make much difference as most women alternate ovulation between both ovaries. Well, over the past several months since being monitored, I have only ovulated from the left ovary. Why? Because some women have bodies that prefer a side and they stick to it and rarely choose the other side for ovulation. Yep, I'm one of those women.

Now there is a chance that the egg released from the left ovary could find its way through the right tube, but the chance isn't high enough for my doctor to think it would work in my case. That combined with my history of fibroids (2 cases in 2.5 years) means our options are narrowing quickly.

So, that leads us to our options.  Exploratory Surgery (or any kind, for that matter) is not an option for me, and my husband supports me on that. The other option is IVF.  That is invitro fertilization.  This is often times a "last resort" for infertile women because it is expensive.  Not to mention there is a lot of poking and monitoring during the process leading up to the procedure.

The cost is not a factor for us; thank God my husband's insurance will cover 90% of the associated costs.  I guess I will have to get over my fear of needles and get through it.

We asked many questions during our appointment last week and we learned a great deal. For starters I asked the doctor if he thought jumping to IVF was too much of a rush. I asked because he seems to be a very thoughtful doctor who wants to try everything before going to something new. I know that I can sometimes be impatient, so I wanted to make sure he was comfortable with us moving to this step.  He told me that given my reproductive issues, he actually thinks this is our best option for conceiving. That made me feel better to know I'm not jumping the gun.

My husband's next question was about the chance of multiples. It turns out that there is a 30% chance of mulitples and a 70% chance of getting pregnant with one. Given my age and the quality of my eggs (thankfully they are good eggs) they would only implant two embryos.  I like the idea that there is a 70% chance one of them will find a cozy spot to implant in my uterus.

The other question was about process and time frame.  It turns out that there are several weeks of preperation for IVF. I will have to start by taking birth control pills (imagine that) along with injectable hormones of some kind.  Oh yeah, we (both of us) also have to go through an orientation before getting started, at which point they will teach me how to give myself shots, among other things.

This is going to be an interesting ride.  I'm glad I can blog about it, though. We aren't telling anyone about it outside of our mothers.

6 comments:

Serenity3-0 said...

I'm glad you are sharing with the blog family. It helps us to see your faith in action and we'll all be happy about the outcome! I'm praying for you guys.

LadyLee said...

Keep pressing forward, honey! I know a couple of IVF moms. It's a process, but worth going through.

I will just sit here and crochet away!

sherri said...

IVF mom here. It is definitely a long process....

BTW, the pre-transfer process needles aren't that bad.. coming from one who HATES needles.

Good Fortune!

Bliss said...

Serenity - Thanks. Blogging it about it keeps me sane and I know it will be a blast to go back and read them after it's all over.

LadyLee - Yay for a blanket! Yeah, I know we can get through this process...we Will!

Sherri - Hi! Thanks for stopping by and offereing encouragement. I've been watching youtube videos of women giving themselves the injections and they make it look so easy. Hopefully, I'll agree with you after my first shot :).

AMES said...

Medical advances are great! It's good to have options.

Sunny said...

I'm so glad that you still have options to achieve your dream. Still praying.