Growing, Learning, and Enjoying Every Part Of It.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

TTC Tuesdays - Week 18

Hola!

I'm currently on CD10, and my monitor hasn't registered me as being in the high fertility range yet.  The high reading flutuates, so I'm not concerned about that.

Yesterday, Tuesday, I had to go in for a hysterosalpingogram (referred to as an HSG in fertility world). Here is how webmd explains it:

A hysterosalpingogram is an X-ray of the uterus and fallopian tubes which allows visualization of the inside of the uterus and tubes. The picture will reveal any abnormalities of the uterus as well as tubal problems such as blockage and dilation (hydrosalpinx).
If the tubes are not blocked by scar tissue or adhesions, the dye will flow into the abdominal cavity. This is a good sign but it does not guarantee that the tubes will function normally. It does give a rough estimate of the quality of the tubal structure and the status of the tubal lining. Some cases where the tubes appear to be blocked where they join the uterus, may in fact be normal. Often blockage at this location may be due to spasm of the opening from the uterus into the tube or from accumulated debris and mucus blocking the opening.

Over the phone, I was told that the actual procedure would take about 15 minutes to complete. I was also told that some patients complain of pain, while others don't feel a thing. I, like most people, don't like pain. Especially not pain associated with my insides.

The procedure ended up taking close to an hour to complete. What the description above doesn't tell you is that they first "wash" cervix, which felt twingy and uncomfortable for me. Then they insert a tube with a balloon on the end. Once inside they inflate the balloon, which was painfaul for me. This was done to me 3 or 4 times because my cervix was tilted to the right, and the dye wasn't making its way through my left tube to their liking. There were lots of commands to twist, tilt, relax, etc.  There was even a moment when a second radiologist had to come into the room to give guidance on what to do next.

The whole while Mr. RFA and I were asking questions that they couldn't or wouldn't answer.  We got alot of vague answers, or "...everything is ok, it's just that we are having a hard time getting the images we need." 

The final balloon insertion consisted of them going much higher into the cervix and inflating their balloon, which brought instant tears to my eyes. It felt like a mix of labor and period pains.

Finally it was all over.  The dye never did go through my left tube, but it did go through the right side.  After I got dressed, the radiologist came back to talk to us. He said both tubes and my uterus looked great, they just couldn't get me in a good position, given my cervix tilt, to get the dye to go through the left side. According to him ,much of it kept running back out.

Now we are in the waiting period to hear what my actual doctor has to say about the images. The waiting period also includes waiting to hear what our next steps are...another round of IUI or something else as a result of what the images revealed.

I was joking with my husband yesterday as we were driving home that once our first baby gets here, we must be super nice to him/her because we are working hard to make sure they one day exist.  He agreed, lol.

1 comment:

LadyLee said...

Wow, gal... just wow," LadyLee said as she sat on her sofa crocheting Baby A's blanket.

This is some interesting stuff to read about. Who knew all this went on. Yes, you will be nice to that baby. He or she is so deeply desired and worked for!