Growing, Learning, and Enjoying Every Part Of It.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent Lesson #2 - Repost From 2009

I just decided to go back and read some of my posts on the old blog from the 2009 Lent season. The lesson of letting go to grow has been life changing for me. I am so glad I got to read this for the start of this new Lent season....oooh, I'm faithful that big things are going to happen over the next 6 weeks! 

 

Lent Lesson #2



Let go to grow. That’s harder than it sounds, and that’s why it can only be done through faith.

I heard an analogy that resonated with me over the weekend. It was the story of a lone fisherman and a little girl. A little girl and her family went away on a vacation to a little seaside town for a week. Each day the girl would go and talk to an old disgruntled fisherman. Not many people liked him and he didn’t like them either. However, this little girl would go and talk to him everyday, just asking questions about what he does and telling him about her. After a few days the fisherman had warmed up to the girl, and actually looked forward to her visits. One afternoon as he brought up his net to see what he had caught for the day and he noticed a pouch. The pouch was filled with authentic pearls. He had noticed that the little girl had a fake pearl set that she wore, so he decided it would be nice to make a necklace out of the authentic pearls and give it to her.

The next day the girl went to talk to the fisherman and tell him that her family was leaving that evening. The fisherman told her that he had enjoyed talking to her and that he had made something special for her. He showed her the necklace and told her that they were real pearls. He said if you take those off, I’ll put these around your neck. The girl immediately grabbed her fake pearls, almost in tears, and told him that she didn’t want to take off her pearls, and that she loved the pearls she already had and didn’t want to replace them. The fisherman again explained that they were authentic pearls and she should take them. The girl still refused and she left the fisherman and the town and headed back home with her family.

While this was a child who may not have understood the value of the real pearls vs. the fake ones, the story still hit home. I know there have been times that I was unwilling to give up something superficial or fake, for something better; whether it was a relationship, job, better health, etc. It’s that fear of letting go, the suppression of complacency, and the reluctance to submit to faith.

It can always be scary to step outside of our comfort zones, even when it’s toxic or less than what we deserve, or less than what God has for us. Unlike the little girl, many of us realize the value of what’s around the corner versus what’s in our face, and we still choose what’s in our face because we don’t have the faith to let go.

In the midst of my journey, I’m re-learning that it’s great, and even sometimes necessary to let go to grow. Faith is powerful and sometimes scary, but not having faith will block God’s greatest gifts for me. This lesson is one that I know, but one that I have to consciously apply, and I’m happy that I’ve been reminded of it on this journey.

~ Ciao

1 comment:

LadyLee said...

That was a powerful parable.