Growing, Learning, and Enjoying Every Part Of It.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Work Blues

I haven't spoken about my full time job lately.  The last time I did, though, I think I mentioned that I was unhappy there.  I'm starting to dislike it more by the day, and on certain days I dislike it minute by minute.

The culture of an organization really impacts so much about it.  I don't like the current culture, which has been imbedded for about two years now.  I have tried to focus on the positive and try to make the best of it.  That worked for a while, but it is failing now.

It seems that everytime I feel like I'm coming to terms with things, something else happens that makes me feel foolish for believing it would get better.

I have been formulating my exit strategy for some time now.  Now that I'm married and we decided to stay here until after my daughter's graduation, my pool of possibilities has narrowed.  There is no movement here in my full time career with the exception of a few things. 

I have given much thought to wedding planning full time.  I still have a great love for local government.  It's like my mind wants both worlds.  I absolutely love event planning.  I love the freedom it gives me, the creativity it allows me to express, and the planning and organization skills I get to highlight.

I don't know what to do, but I know I have never worked someplace that I simply hated.  Okay, in college I worked at walmart for about 6 months and I hated that, but I found a new job and left. A career position isn't dime a dozen like a walmart type gig.  I thank God for my growth and career. 

At any rate, I have never been in this situation and I don't like it.  I don't feel valued or needed. That's a terrible feeling to have 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week.


~ Not So Blissfully Yours

1 comment:

LadyLee said...

I've been on my job for 11.5 years and I understand those workplace blues all too much. We had a management change a couple years ago and it has made all the difference for me.

You are a trailblazer AND my future POTUS, so I hope you find a solution for yourself... And I am glad for your new business venture. Now that right there? THAT'S gonna keep your heart from not caving in under the messes of your day job... it truly is.

I was telling my sister the other day that we all need that extra something in our lives, something of personal interest, to take away the blahs and pains of the 9 to 5 job. And all the better if that interest is a business that is capable of growth. All the better.