Growing, Learning, and Enjoying Every Part Of It.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The High School Years

So my daughter made it through her first day of high school, or should I say I made it through. She was so nervous that it made me nervous. I gave serious thought to lurking in the hallways just to make sure she was okay throughout the day. I didn’t, of course.

My biggest issue was and still is that she will be attending school with 18 year old boys and girls who think they are grown. It just seems wrong to mix my 14 year old amongst them.  It sounds like a small age difference, but the mentality is light years apart.

At the end of the week, I will have reconciled all of my feelings about her being in high school…I’m sure of it. I pray over her every day and ask God to guide the other students and teachers. I know she has a good foundation, and now is my chance to see that in action. She’ll make mistakes, and some very stupid decisions, as all teenagers do, but I pray she’ll seek God and me more often than she seeks out guidance from other kids. I pray that she’ll stay grounded and committed to her beliefs even when others try to make her feel bad about it.

As much as I want to wrap her up and hide her in my back pocket, I am also looking forward to watching her navigate these years of her life. I’m just going to savor every moment, though, because I know they will go by too quickly.  In 4 short years I’ll be typing through my tears as I drop her off to college, longing to relive these days. So, because I know that I’m going to stop my whining and start praising. I’m going to praise God for allowing me to see all this unfold – my beautiful baby turn into a young lady right before my eyes. This parenthood step really is the most rewarding (and painful) that life has to offer.

~ Blissfully Yours


1 comment:

ShellyShell said...

I finally made it over here. I saw the video you posted of Alyssa. It was soo cute! I'm sure as a parent it must have been difficult to see her walk in the high school! She'll be fine and so will you! :)